Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Orientation: Day 1

There comes a time in every young Hannah's life that she realizes she has to grow up. And that includes going to a college orientation. So if any of you were interested, I decided to go to University of New England in Maine. It's near Portland, look it up. Ive also come to realize that there are other Hannah's in the world who are studying marine sciences at UNE. Okay, there's only one and she spells her name wrong and she's older, but it's still very confusing. People talk to her. They don't talk to me. But that's my fault. I'll give you a little narrative of my first day because you all care so deeply. So it started early. Like, before five. Got all ready and finally packed up, and headed out to Maine by six. It's a four hour drive and I slept through most of it. And got a painful crick in my neck. Anyways, I got here feeling very nervous. I'm not good with making friends. It took me years to get someone I could very comfortably talk to at Sound. I tried to make my parents turn back for Seymour. They weren't going for it. We stopped at Tim Hortons (Miss Alex would be so excited). I had a doughnut and hot chocolate, which in my personal opinion was not as good as Dunkin Donuts. Okay, so we get to the college. I sign in and am given a room. My roommate's name is Meghan. I like her because of her name and it reminds me of Meghan Murphy, who is back in little old Seymour. Besides her name I know very little about her. I don't know what to say to her, and my dad had to introduce me to her for me because I forgot. There was one girl my mom and I picked out to be my friend. She ended up bring in a different group and I barely saw her, and she ended up making actual friends. I guess that's not how friend making works with me. We were doing a community service thing today because its a pre orientation thing. We went to an old mill, where they were setting up a opening showing of a hundred year old 800 foot painting. It is so big that it didn't fit in the Saco Museum in town. We got to explore the mills a bit when moving chairs and tables. We rode scary freight elevators and went down hallways that were definitely not up to code for a factory. At one point in the elevator, one of the orientation leaders claimed she saw a face looking through the window. Jo one was saw it and there had been no one in the hallway leading to the elevator. The man who was in charge of the chair moving operation(he owns the mill or something like that) said she might have seen the ghost. That led to a discussion I could somewhat add to! I mentioned that the house I live in is fairlynew and built for and by my family so there's been no human deaths. Turns out the girl who had seen the face (Leeann, I like her, but she's one of the leaders so not who I'm supposed to make friends with) used to live in a renovated tuberculosis center. How creepy is that? After all that, we rejoined with all the groups and played stupid "get to know you" games and made a fool outt of ourselves. Overall, it was fun. I forgot to bring a towel and I feel incredibly awkward that I'm not talking to my roommate. People keep telling me that it'll take time to make friends. Everyone else is getting along like best buds with each other. I won't believe my well-wishers from home until I make a friend. I guess I will, these are the kinda of people I like here. A little on the weird side. There are friendly twins across the hall, but they get along great with everyone because they aren't completely alone and apparently being identical twins is a great conversation piece. alright, I'm done for now, thanks for reading this ramble xD. Day one of orientation complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment