Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Orientation: Day 2

Oh my god, I made friends!! I am so happy. I have people to actually hang out with, which is great because there's a party tomorrow night. Well, party thing. Dance. Jolonna is gonna try to make me dance. Maybe I will. It will be good to relax. They do a lot of dancing here. Synchronized dancing. I could never memorize all of those steps. I'm sure I'll learn after a few years... It's so weird to think this will be my new home. So this morning I accidentally woke up my roommate. I wanted to shower before everyone else got to them. I felt bad, but she's nice and said she was kind of up anyways. I'll take her word for it. We went on a little boat ride to an island. With us, for some reason, we brought friend target #2. Katie. I talked to her a bit and walked around with her. We say hi when we see each other or smile, but I just lost her to other people. But I digress. At the island, there were evil sea gulls. They dive bombed you as you walked by! People had to wave sticks in the air to ward them off. There, I swept out a lighthouse tower. I was terrified the whole time because at the top, there's a sign that said, "Danger: intense noise may sound without warning". I thought I was going to die in that tower. The fog horn would go off and it would startle me so much I would fall down to my very tragic death. We got to climb to the very top of the lighthouse and look out. It was really cool but I wasn't as mystified as everyone else. I've been up in a lighthouse before, a few times. Which reminds me of a funny story. I'll tell it later if I feel like it. The scariest part was when I had to carry wood to this little hut thing alone in a very territorial seagull area. I feel like I had one almost fly into my face. Everyone called me very brave for facing that. And climbing the tower by myself up sweep. I took some time to hang out with Katie. She's a very quiet and mousey kind of girl, that's how she became a target. But anyways, yeah. When we got back to campus, normal orientation people were showing up. Since then, the Internet has slowed down significantly.. We met our orientation leader for our floor. Her name is Linda. I like her, she's crazy and sassy. Then we went to see a motivational speaker. I completely forget his name, but he was great. He said stuff like be your own best friend and be present. He was also really funny. I'll post his name when I remember it. Then we played random games and then were released for free time. I hung out with my new friends Karen and Jolonna. And met someone from new jersey. He doesn't like new jersey, he told me. I said my parents get confused sometimes when they go for gas there. See, in new jersey, when you go to the gas station, an attendant needs to pump your gas for you. New Jersite commented on how he was confused when on the way to orientation the driver of his car had to get out to pump. I'm feeling pretty good right now. My roommate is "sleep surfing" so I feel right at home because mom does that. I have friends, hopefully I can find them tomorrow morning. They both live on my floor, and I know Jolonna gets up early, so I'll try to do that to find her. Two more days, I think I'll make it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment